What to expect
In the Idrija region you can admire Klavze, a river engineering phenomenon called “Slovenia’s pyramids”, look into the bottomless Wild lake and walk along Slovenia’s shortest river, visit Idrija castle and its interesting museum, and descend into the depths of the disused mercury mine, transformed into a world-class attraction protected by UNESCO.
The Idrija mercury mine is one of the oldest mines in Europe, the first mining dating back to 1490, and was considered the second largest mercury mine in the world. You will have the chance to explore the mine and get yourself familiarized with the extraction of the only liquid metal known to man and you will visit the underground Chapel.
Idrija is also very famous because of its tradition of lace making and it is interesting to see how local women master this work. Idrija lace was first mentioned in documents from 1696. It began when the miners' wives tried to earn some extra money for the family. By perfecting the craft, they helped place Idrija on the map as one of the more prominent lace making centres in Europe.
After the lace making the trip will take you to discover the Wild Lake, one of the most mysterious lakes you might come across. It is hidden beneath a cliff close to Idrija and is known as the deepest lake in Slovenia with the deepest point measured so far at 160 metres. The area is protected due to its rich flora and fauna that have developed in this remarkable spot.
Joining this trip, you will for sure experience an adventure full of knowledge, Slovenian culture, history and fun.
Know before you go
- Guests are recommended to wear comfortable shoes and clothes.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of
this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Hotel pickup is available from most centrally located hotels in Ljubljana.
- Hotel pickups commence prior to departure time, we will be in touch with you via e-mail or phone to let you know your exact pickup time.
- Small – group tour – up to 8 people per van.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Professional English speaking guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Entrance fee of Gewerkenegg castle
- Guided tour of Idrija mercury mine
- Admission fees, meals and personal expenses.
- Admission options:
In our scheduled day trips we specialize in small groups of 2-8 people, striving to create an environment in which our customers can really enjoy their day without any hassle or rush, and our passionate and knowledgable guides can dedicate their time and attention to each traveller. We aim to present all customers with the opportunity to really immerse themselves into Slovene culture and the beauty of the country. These trips are wonderful for small groups, families or individual travelers. We endeavor to cater to everyone’s needs and show that we genuinely care about the people who decide to travel with us.